I realise that my last Multiplatform link dump was also (prematurely) called Jan ’08, hence the pt 2.
There are going to be quite a lot of links, but there are some crackers in here so I hope you enjoy them. Interesting things are afoot already this year and I am witnessing first hand the increase in appetite for ARG’s specifically within the UK broadcasting industry. I feel very lucky indeed to be able to be a part of this and all I can say is that this year is going to have some stunning projects hitting the market.
J J Abrams is once again bringing his flavour of conspiracy, intrigue and mystery to audiences worldwide with Cloverfield. I’ve thoroughly enjoyed following his breadcrumbs across the internet although I still haven’t seen the actual movie. It’s amazing how much this has had an impact on the broadcasting industry and their interest in using some of the same tools to build around their own projects. Of course, I hope to be playing a role within implementing these ideas!!
OK, onto the link dump, I hope you enjoy.
- “Alternate Reality Business” makes annual “Top 20 Breakthrough Ideas” List
- Hmmm, maybe there is gold in them there ARG hills? Jane Mcgonigal once again writes a great article with links to her report on how ARG’s can benefit business.
- QNX PocketGeek – Home
- I love this little Flash coedy game type thingy… Hmm, I get zero points for that description!
- Fight Amongst Yourselves on Outquib
- Outquib is an upcoming site that lets you debate or voice your cause, rally up other users around the topic, and see where things go.
- MySpaceTV Signs the BBC
- MySpaceTV is officially going global, with a new deal with BBC. Hallelujah for that!
- Cloverfield is Out — What Now?
- A great break down of what is going on with Cloverfield in the ARG world. Great links as well.
- JJ Abrams Enables One CMU Professor To Check Off An Item On His Own Personal Bucket List!
- It’s 2:48am as find this, all because I watched the videos you’ll find within. A truly great watch. Randy Pausch is a legend. Very touching and inspiring.
- Website with the editorial controlled by a young team of editors aged between 13-18. Nice design too. Music, writing and culture collide. Makes me feel old though… Grrrr.
- Ruby Pseudo Wants a Word: Tribe Talking
- Ruby Pseudo is my favourite non TV/Online focused blog. Always great insight, perfect resource when trying to keep up to date with teen trends. This post is about ‘Teen tribes’, from a teenagers point of view, how the different people in London can be defined b the fashion and the area they live… The Tribe hey are part of.
- The Slowskys
- Love the stop frame animation style web design – kind of like a cross between steam punk and Pee Wee Herman!
- Looks like an amazing agency. Great design, had fun looking around here.
- YouTube – kungfu bunny 2
- Nice piece of work. Live action and animation.
- New video blogging site. I now have an invite and will be looking to have a go soon, keep your eyes out for me!
- White Dwarf – Flash Game
- Fantsatic Flash game!! Love it.
- xavierenigma’s next physics game
- Very simple physics based flash game (not really a game, more of a tech demo really).
- Indiegames.com – showcasing the best in independent games.
- Games games games!!
- How to Prototype a Game in Under 7 Days
- Thanks again to Phil. Great link.
- Shoppdropping.net… Flash Mobbing with food?
- I like this, I’m not sure whether it has the same scope as other instalation based stunts, but Its original.
- The Multiplatform Game
- I’m a bit slow on the uptake! Great blog with tons of great stuff in it all multiplatform focused. Brilliant.
- BBC iPlayer bags 1m users in festive season
- Thanks for this link Phil! iPlayer is steaming ahead… And lets be honest, it is very very good.
- My run is a videogame — wanna play with me?
- I’ve a few friends that got themselves Nike+ running gear for xmas, Jane Mcgonigal writes about her experience with it and how she thinks it would make a great ARG. I totally agree, with the success of the Nintendo Wii we can see that people want to play.
- Sock Master’s Video Game Controller Family Tree
- The evolution of the videogame controller.
- Vinyl Sleeve Heads
- I’ve seen a few iterations of this concept for a while but I like it.
- Big Think – We Are What You Think
- Youtube for brainy people?
BBC’s Torchwood series (a spin off from Doctor Who) is back for a second series starting tomorrow night at 9:00pm BBC2. Alongside its launch there is an interesting ARG that has appeared on the Torchwood Website (click on the jobs section top right). It’s looking really nice and from what I hear quite a large project out of BBC Wales. The online offering runs separate to the TV series, although it does cross over in places. There will be minisodes to watch and puzzles to solve, with the storyline taking part between episodes.
This is a great opportunity to expand the Torchwood transmedia universe and perfect story fodder for a gripping ARG.
Check out this Youtube preview (it may not work if you are outside the UK though… Sorry).
Sometimes I find myself looking around the web for some interesting news story that could make perfect fodder for a Multiplatform project. Something to share with the rest of the team so we can throw around some thoughts and get all stimulated (the work safe kind of stimulated!).
Having stumbled upon this video of a robotic exoskeleton, I have come to realise that sometimes real life is far crazier than anything I could make up. If I’d had to bet money I’d have thought it was promotional material for a sci-fi movie but it turns out it will probably end up on a battlefield somewhere.
It’s all very reminiscent of Sigourney Weavers ‘Power Loader’ in Aliens. Another example of life imitating art. Lets just hope life doesn’t imitate the face eating Aliens next.